Lucía Herrero (Madrid, 1976) studied Architecture at the Polytechnic University of Madrid, Photography in various schools including the CEV (Madrid), EFTI (Valencia), FOTOGRAM (Amsterdam), IEFC (Barcelona), and Physical Theatre -Jacques Lecoq Technique- in Barcelona.
Lucia's work has been successful in various photographic competitions including: SFR Jeunes Talents, Prix Exchange of Boutographies, Coup de Coeur Arles 2011, International Loupe Awards, IPA 2011, PixMO, or Sony World Photography Awards at “Photojournalism and documentary / People”, Terry O’Neal and IPA (Internacional Photography awards). She was also selected for the group “Discoveries PhotoEspaña 2010”.
She has been a finalist or gained an honourable mention at Magnum Expression Awards, Viewbook, Lensculture and Thecolorawards among others.
Her work has been widely exhibited in places like Photography Festival of Pingyao (China), Rencontres d’Arles, SCAN Festival in Tarragona (Spain), Festival Lille 3000. SONY WORLD PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS winners' exhibition at Chelsea Museum (N.Y). and Somerset House of London,Fotoseptiembre Festival (Mexico DF), Belfast Photofestival, Rencontres Photographiques de Montpellier, Central exhibition hall "Menege" in St. Petersburg, Lensculture-SplashlightStudios (N.Y)…
Over the last two years she has developed an approach to social photography entitled Antropoligía Fantástica. It documents portraits of people or groups with both drama and fantasy elements. The people are always real, not actors. It is a photo-event where the subjects interpret themselves and where Lucia composes them in the space as if they were notes on a stave. Her four latest projects “Tribes”, “Species”, “Equation” and“PORC no GRAPHIC”.
Her style in social/doccuemtary photography has interested curators and publishers from al over the world and made Lucía's photos travel from Spain to China, Mexico, France, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Slovenia, Russia...
CV 2010 to 2012
-SFR Jeunes Talents-Arles prize. Exhibition at Rencontres d’Arles official program
-SFR-Grand Prix 2010. Finalist
-Descubrimientos PhotoEspaña. 70 international photographers.
-Barcelona Photomeeting Ojo de Pez. Among 10 best portfolios.
-Month of Photography Bratislava. Among 15 best portfolios.
-SFR MAP10. Finalist.
-Magnum Expression Awards. Finalist
-SCOOP Photojournalism Festival. Finalist.
-Viewbook Photostory contest. Honourable mention
-PixMo - “La Laboral” center of Art of Gijon, Spain. First prize and honourable mention
-Sony award. “Photojournalism and documentary”- “People”. Third prize.
-Le Prix Exchange of Boutographies -Montpellier. (Prize: expo at Fotoleggendo – October, Rome)
-Prix Coup de Coeur Arles 2011 (Prize exhibition in the FNAC galleries starting in Paris)
-IPA 2011(International Photography Awards).
1st prize “Book/People”.
3rd prize “Nature”
2 honourable mentions.
- Lensculture International Exposure Award. Honourable mention.
- Thecolorawards. Nomination in 3 categories.
- KYyosato Museum of Photographic arts. Japan. Young Portfolio adquisition
- International Loupe Awards. Silver and bronze award
- The Terry O’Neill Award. 3rd prize
- Critical Mass finalist- Exhibition at Jennifer Schwartz Gallery, Atlanta, Georgia , Southeast Museum of Photography, Daytona Beach, Florida
- Art residency in Norway. Sunnhordland Museum.
- “Coup de Coueur ANI” group at Visa poru l’image.
- Rencontres d’Arles, at the official program. France.
- Photography Festival of Pingyao. China. Curator: Dominique Charlet.
- Paris Photooff. La Belleveillose (Parallel to Paris Photo)
- SCAN Festival “Talent Latent”. Tarragona. Spain
- Lille 3000 festival. France.
- Centro de la Imagen. México. “España Contemporánea”. Curators: A.Castellote and M.Neumüller
- Art Center “La Laboral” of Gijón, Spain.
- Tagomago Gallery. Barcelona. Spain.
- Somerset House. London. (WPO-Sony World Photography Awards exhibition). Festival de photographie de Toulouse, France. (SFR Jeunes Talents)
- Rencontres photographiques de Montpellier, Boutographies. France.
- Madrid Photo. With Tagomago Gallery. Spain.
- Summershow Photo 8. London
- Belfast Photo Festival. Ireland.
- Central Exhibition hall “Menege”. St. Petersburg. Russia. Curator: Marina Jigarkhanyan.
- Exhibition world tour with WPO. (As part of Sony Awards 2011).
- Festival Photovisa. Krasnodar, Rusia. Curator: Irina Chmyreva.
- Festival Fotoseptiembre Mexico.
- Festival Fotoleggendo – October. Rome.
- International Photo Awards “Best of Show” Lensculture- SplashlightStudios (N.Y). curator Audrey Landreth.
- SONY WORLD PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS winners' exhibition. Chelsea Museum (N.Y). Curator Elisabeth Biondi. October ‘11
- Hot Shoe Gallery London. December. The Terry O’Neill Award. 8 Dec.
- Kiyosato museum of Photographic Art. (KMOPA). Japan. Young Portfolio adquisition.
- RSF (Real Sociedad Fotográfica). Madrid.
- Festival FOTOGRAFIA EUROPEA 2012. Italy. “Common Life”. (public slideshow) By Alejandro Castellote
- FNAC les Ternes. Paris. (Prize Coup de Coeur Rencontres d’Arles)
- SIPF (Singapore International Photo Festival).
- Le Mur Rouge gallery, Montpellier.
- FestFoto Porto Alegre, Brazil. (curator Carlos Carvalho)
- Jennifer Schwartz Gallery, in Atlanta, Georgia (Critical Mass finalist prize)
- Southeast Museum of Photography, in Daytona Beach, Florida (Critical Mass finalist prize)
Public Slide Shows
- Festival Kaunas, Lituania 2010. “Spanish photography”.
- Barcelona Photo Meeting Ojo de Pez 2010. “Ten best portpholios”
- Festival photographie at Sète, France.“Spanish photography Night”. By Christian Cajoulle.
- Photo-International. Germany
- XL. Weekly magazine.
- Plot architecture magazine. Assignment and publication. Argentina.
- Artvas magazine. Korea
- Esquire digital magazine. Russia
- The Sunday Times Magazine. UK.
- Time Magazine. NY. Assignments and publications.
- Iodonna. Italy.
- Gea Photowords
- Philosophie Magazine
- AZART photographie
- F2 photo magazine
- Burn magazine
- La Voz de Galicia newspaper
- Sunday Times Mag. Terry O´Neal Awards winners
- Soud Ouest Journal. France
- Foto&Video magazine. Russia
- Artzine. Korea
- Le Monde de la Photo. France
- Actunphoto. France
- Photographie.com. France
- Foto Cult. Italy
- TIME Magazine. NY
- Yorokobu magazine
- Wired magazine
Books and Catalogs
Rencontres d’Arles 2010, SFR-Jeunes Talents, Talent-latent. Scan Tarragona, Pingyao, Photo festival 2010, Descubrimientos Photoespaña 2010, Boutographies-Montpellier 2011, Photo8 2011, IPA 2011.
Sony World Photography Awards 2011. WPO.
Soon: Publication of TRIBUS book. Schilt publishing.
Radio Nacional Cádiz 2010 / Tele 5. Cultural news 2010 /
XL Semanal. “Se habla de…” / Ojo de Pez magazine / El Pais (digital) / The weekly News 2010 / El Imparcial ...
Blogs: Barcelona Photo Bloggers (SP), Information.dk Fotobloggen (DK), LensCratch (USA) / e-photoreview / La Información / Gea photowords...